Our Next Program:
Friday, November 28, 2014
1900 hrs / 7:00pm
University Center (Map)
The North Side “L” by Bruce Moffat
Long-time CERA member and author Bruce Moffat recounts the history of Chicago’s North Side “L” in this informative and entertaining program. He will trace its development, beginning with Charles Yerkes‘ battle with the City to extend rapid transit into the north side, followed by upgrading a steam railroad to extend “L” trains into the suburbs. Joint operations with steam- powered freights, electric interurbans and the “L”‘s own electric freight are also covered.
Mr. Moffat’s books include Forty Feet Below – The Story of Chicago’s Freight Tunnels, The Chicago Tunnel Story: Exploring the Railroad “Forty Feet Below” (CERA B-135), and The “L”: The Development of Chicago’s Rapid Transit System, 1888-1932 (CERA B-131). In addition, he has also authored Shore Line Interurban Historical Society Dispatches 1 and 5: Cooperation Moves the Public, and The Chicago “L’s” Great Steel Fleet – The Baldies.
CTA trains of 4000s and 6000s are southbound between Argyle and Lawrence in this early 1970s view. (CERA Archives)
A CTA single car unit heads south at the old Isabella station, just south of the Linden Avenue terminal in the 1960s. (CERA Archives)
A North Shore Line fantrip train at Buena Yard in the late 1950s. (Ken Spengler Photo – CERA Archives)
On a snowy winter day in the late 1950s, a southbound two car North Shore Line train, headed up by 724, navigates the local track near Sheridan Road. (CERA Archives)